Friday, May 6, 2011

A Friend Runs Marathon in Olivia's Memory

Our friend Michael Fitzgerald recently ran his 14th Boston Marathon a few ago in April. This time around however he ran in memory of Olivia. Below is a copy of this beautiful letter from Michael who also dedicated his Boston Marathon medal to us in memory of Olivia.



Boston Marathon

April 18, 2011

Running in Memory of Olivia Wood

Daughter of Mike and Robyn

Sister of Julia



Dear Mike, Robyn and Julia,

I wanted you to know that I ran the Boston Marathon on Monday in memory of your dear daughter and sister, Olivia. I was deeply touched when I learned of your tremendous loss and very much inspired by your strength and your faith as well.

I thought of her and each of you throughout the 26 miles. I thought of how difficult it must have been for you and must still be. I had her name and a small picture on my back. When it was starting to come off in the wind, other runners noticed this and pressed it onto my jersey to help it to stay. I recall one runner, a woman, saying Olivia’s name aloud as she did this.

I have great trust in the reality of the communion of saints…of the presence and support of “those who have gone before us, marked with the sign of faith.” I prayed with and to Olivia, asking for her help to get me through. I felt strong and focused – even in the last six miles.

I ask you to please accept these words, my marathon medal and my prayers, as a sign of my intention to be among those who will always honor the memory of your beloved daughter and sister, Olivia.

Peace be with you.

Mike Fitzgerald

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint"

(Isaiah 40:31)

No comments: