Tuesday, February 12, 2008

We Reached the Summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro

Hi Everyone!

I got back today from my trip to Tanzania that ended up being a wonderful experience. The good news is that I reached the summit (Uhuru Peak - 5895 meters, 19,340 ft.) of Mt. Kilimanjaro on Feb 9th at around 1 PM on what turned out to be a beautiful sunny, fifty-degree day if you can believe it. Some of the groups that made it up before us were not so lucky (i.e. <10 degrees and strong winds that enabled them to stay for only 5 min.). We were just very lucky in terms of the weather. We ended up staying at the summit about 45 min. and took plenty of pictures. I ended up getting some nice shots of me holding a t-shirt that had a picture of Olivia on it (thanks to Kim & Gene), a nice shot of the Koko logo, and a picture of good old "Flat Stanley" for FRCS. I will post some pictures so please check back.

I apologize for not updating the blog while I was gone - we had an issue with the satellite phone. Bill (from CA) was nice enough to let me use is satellite phone, that was working, a few times to call home - thanks Bill.

More to come...

No comments: